Monday, November 5, 2012

1 2012 Election

The showdown that has been years in the making, Obama vs. Romney, is finally upon us. Billions of dollars have been spent in order to convince the few undecided and independent voters in a few states that Obama or Romney is the right man for the job.

At first, I was going to go into a discussion of Obama and Romney, their differences, their similarities, why Obama is good and why Romney is evil alien robot sent to study and destroy humanity. However, I kept on thinking about how much money has been spent in this election. Both campaigns have raised and spent so much.  In Ohio, there was something along the lines of 26 straight political commercials. In fact, the Romney campaign started advertising in my state, Pennsylvania, because they had no where else to spend. Outside groups have flooded the airways with messages. And a man in Vegas spent 100 million of his own dollars to try to defeat Obama.

I honestly believe that the current campaign system is a complete and utter travesty. This vast amount of money is sickening, especially when this country needs jobs and new infrastructure for the 21st century.  Basically, the country needs campaign finance reform in the worst way. In my idea world, the Presidential campaign would be limited to six weeks in which any candidate who met a certain level of support would be entitled to the same amount of campaign funds and would get the same amount of time on television. This would give 3rd party candidates a fighting chance. The candidates would be required to participate in weekly debates where substantive issues would be discussed and talking points would be banned. This would prevent a foreign policy debate from turning into a discussion about taxes and the economy, which happened this year. Finally, outside spending would be banned. The less money in politics the better. I know there is absolutely no chance that this will occur but a man can always dream of a country in which ideas, and not money, matters the most.  

Without further ado here is my map:


Popular Vote Obama 51% Romney 48%, 54-45-1 Democrats in the Senate and a 22 seat majority for Republicans in the House.  

Obama is my president, and he will your president for FOUR MORE YEARS! 


  

1 comments:

  1. Not too shabby on my first predictions. I had a couple mistakes though. I should have been spot on for the Senate but I forgot that Angus King is an independent who will probably caucus for the Democrats and not a pure Democrat. In my house predictions, I failed to grasp how gerrymandered House districts have become. It is going to take a huge wave in the future for the house to flip. Finally, I gave Arizona to President Obama because I believed in the Latino Wave coming upon the country. While Arizona didn't flip, I'm going to give myself half-credit because the Latino vote was one of the most talked about things on election night.

    ReplyDelete

 

Jamie Dixon Cider Copyright © 2011 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates