Wednesday, April 17, 2013

1 Facebook is terrible

There is no good way to put it. Facebook has become an awful thing, an albatross around people's necks. Five years ago, Facebook was great. You could creep on people's spring break pictures, watch people have a meltdown in real time or see who got fat or bald (or both) since high school.

But Facebook has changed. Now, you are bombarded with people sharing random nonsense that you don't care about. You see a million pictures of other people's babies (side note: I don't give a shit about your two month old, random person who I had class with 6 years ago, unless you are posing them in puerile pictures). People feel the need to air their dirty laundry or their backwards ass social views or get in a Facebook fight about something. I don't care about your engagement proposal or the 250 photos from your wedding. People lurk on Facebook, just waiting for someone to upload a status or picture so they can like or comment on it. Facebook is full of modern day chain letters (for example, people posting some piece of nonsense about veterans or this sick baby) which flood your feed. Facebook has also turned from a place full of teenagers and 20-somethings into baby boomer central. The Caps Lock Key is in full effect and old people have no sense of internet etiquette. My girlfriend will talk about a person and describe something happening in their life, and when I ask how she knows about this, Facebook is the answer. Facebook has replaced actual social contact and communication.

For these, and other reasons, I have stopped using Facebook for myself. I don't wish people happy birthday, I don't comment on statuses, I don't like photos. My only Facebook connection is a page I created for the dog, where I upload pictures from his point of view and try to be creative.

1 comments:

  1. I remember the good old days of creeping on spring break pictures, getting old can suck sometimes. What sucks is that we missed out on some prime facebook creeping time because it didn't come out till college was basically over. Another downside you left out in my opinion is that facebook has completely ruined High School reunions. I think it had to have been awesome going to reunion and having no idea of who is doing what and who looks like what. When you walked into the room, you would have absolutely no idea what you were going to see. But instead I know way too much about people I might have said 3 words to ever.

    One positive that you left out though, some people are so crazy that it actually is entertaining to read.

    ReplyDelete

 

Jamie Dixon Cider Copyright © 2011 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates