Friday, March 29, 2013

0 5 for Friday

I'm starting a new feature on the JDC, 5 random thoughts coming straight at you every Friday...

1.  Path might be pretty cool, but I'm not 100% sold on it.
So I started using Path which is a Facebook alternative that limits you to around 150 friends.  The app on the iPhone is really slick and reminds me of BBM.  You can share locations, pictures, songs, thoughts and so on with your real friends and not that one person you randomly met as a friend of a friend of a friend that always posts the most annoying things.  It's nice that when I get a notification from the app it means that there is something that I actually want to read and not being invited to play some random game by a friends from 10th grade.  Will this app actually take off?  I have no idea.  But the more alternatives to Facebook the bestter.  Monopolies are never good unless you are actually playing the game of Monopoly.  I suggest everyone at least give Path the old college try.  Worst case scenario, you don't like it at all and you delete it.  It never hurts to try something new. 

2.  The Voice has been upgraded.  
The Voice is my third favorite reality TV show behind The Challenge (by far the best and soon to be America's next great sport) and the Bachelor (nothing gets better than rooting for a girl on your team to make out with the bachelor or cry).  I'm not sure but for whatever reason I can't get enough of this blind singing competition.   The show is even better now that they kicked off the train wreck that is Christina Aguilera and the overwhelming creepiness that is Cee Lo and replaced them with Usher and Shakira.  It's been such a huge upgrade.  Urrrrsher is Urrrrsher, it would be awesome to spend a night partying with him.  And Shakira's broken English provides an awesome level of unintentional humor, especially when she is trying to talk a country singer onto her team.  Finally, I gotta mention Carson Daly.  Next time you watch, if you watch, be sure to watch Carson Daly's reactions when he is hanging out with the contestants family.  They are so over-the-top animated that I think the bro actually really cares or he's the best actor that know one knows is actually an actor.1  As always in life, cool and unintentionally funny is always better than train wrecks and creepiness.  

3. Pitt is Pitt.
As many of you read, I posted a great ode to Pitt basketball last Thursday proclaiming my love of Pitt and admitting how crazy I was for always believing in them.  I realize that my actual bracket was really wrong but my underlying point that Pitt fans like myself always believe no matter how ridiculous it is to believe was spot on.  Until about 5 minutes left in the game last week, I thought Pitt was going to pull it out.  I always think they are going to pull it out even though they usually don't.  I'm not exactly sure what happened in that game. The team definitely played tight but it doesn't make sense that Woodall an experience 5th year senior would have the worst game of his career then.  Talk about a terrible way to go out.  Tray was a very solid Pitt guy he deserved to go out in a better way.  I'll remember Tray for one of the best quotes ever.   After making a game winning shot, someone asked him if he was afraid when he took the shot, he replied "scared money don't make money."  So spot on for basketball and anything in life, if you are afraid to take a chance you are never going to succeed.  But anyways, back to Pitt basketball.  I was going to do a review of the season and what went wrong.  However, I don't think there was much to say.  Basically, Pitt overachieved this year while starting two freshman and playing a senior PG tons of minutes who was better suited to be a 6-man off the bench who brings instant offense and not carry the entire team.  Dixon over coached the team too.  He was way too worried about rebounding and defense and let the offense suffer.  When the team was at it's best during the season, it was when the team was running and scoring at ton.  Overall, the season was a success because the team bounced back from horrible year before and the young guys like Adams played a lot and got better.  There is a lot of talk about how Dixon is a bad big game coach, but I'm not sure how accurate that is.  Quite a few of Pitt's losses have been to teams that made the Final 4.  So for the most part Pitt is losing to really good teams.  Should they have wins against a couple of those teams? Absolutely.  But they aren't losing to scrubs.  Also, a lot of the times the team really overachieves during the regular season so their end record while good isn't reflective of the actual talent level of the team.  You need talent to win.  Dixon seems to have recognized that he needs better talent and Pitt's recruiting has been better lately.  Although, it all really is pretty irrelevant because Dixon is here for the long haul.  Hopefully, he keeps on getting better and improving his coaching style.  This is why I didn't do a dedicated post about Pitt basketball, I knew it would just turn into a bunch of random rambling.  Oh well, Hail to Pitt!

4. I'm worried for Jimmy Fallon.  
I love Late Night with Jimmy Fallon.  He brings lots of originality, lots of randomness and lots of SNL quality skits to a late night show.  Bonus, his house band is the Roots which are beyond amazing.  But I'm worried for Jimmy because it was just announce that he's taking over for Jay Leno next year.  I just don't see the people who watch Jay Leno, older people who love dumb skits like reading of headlines, get into the randomness of Fallon which includes twitter hashtags, wheel of carpet samples, beer pong with celebrity guests and so on.  I can just imagine my Grandma turning on Fallon at 11:35 and just SMDH'ing the whole time and being beyond confused.  However, if he changes his show to try to get that broader audience, then he loses the very thing that makes him worth watching.  Basically, he's going to have to walk a very fine line, which is really hard to do.  So Jimmy, I'm worried for you.    

5.  Equality is Equality.  
During the past week there was an equality day, where almost everyone on Facebook showed support of equality by putting up an equal sign.2  I say almost everyone because there were some people who were against it and ranted about everyone else imposing liberal views or some B.S.  Someone even argued about how horrible it was that liberals stop him from using g&y and f&g.3  Seriously bro?  You are mad about not being able to use derogatory terms.  What's next? Are you going to be mad that you can't use the n-word or are you going to be mad that you can't call someone someone a see-you-next-tuesday?  Seriously, if someone offends a lot of people you shouldn't do it.  It's not being liberal or anything like that.  It's called being a human being and being courteous.  But back to marriage equality, it makes no sense to be against allowing two bros or two chicks from getting married.  You are just letting two people get the same legal rights that a woman and man are entitled to when they get married.  But you say ohhh God hates them and God loves me don't impose your views on me?  Letting someone enter into a legal contract, which is what marriage is, doesn't effect your gay-hating self.  No one is making you go to their weddings or making you have weddings in your church or making you not be hateful anymore.  And spare me the sanctity of marriage nonsense, straight people ruined marriage a long time ago.  And don't go busting out a slippery slope argument that oh you let them get married then before you know it a man will be marrying a horse.  Slippery slope arguments are beyond lazy and they are always used when you are on the wrong side of an argument.  I'm sure people used those arguments to try to stop interracial marriage.  Bottom line, it's the 21st century and people should start acting like it is the 21st century.  

There you have it 5 random thoughts that were more random rants for Friday.  Everyone, have a great Easter weekend!



1 I spent a good 15 minutes looking for a GIF of his reactions, but they don't seem to exist.  Seems like a pretty big internet fail to me.  Come on internet you have to be better than that.

2 I didn't put up an equal sign because I'm lazy and I don't like doing trendy things on Facebook.  

3 I know I say both but I really wish that I didn't.  I honestly have nothing but love for everyone.  I'm just so used to saying it that I don't think that I do.  I'm going to make an effort to try to eliminate the terms.  If I could eliminate pop from my vocab, then I certainly eliminate words that people think are hateful.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Jamie Dixon Cider Copyright © 2011 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates