Sunday, October 21, 2012

1 Agoraphobia

Agoraphobia is the Greek word for fear of a public place. An agora was a marketplace in ancient Greece where goods were sold and business was transacted. It was a combination shopping mall, courthouse, and grocery store. An agoraphobe was literally someone afraid of the market.

When I lived in Pittsburgh, I did not like going out and doing things. My common refrain or excuse was that I didn't want to wait in line. I was an impatient person and I hated the idea of waiting. I would admit to a mild agoraphobia. I did not like to go to public events because I did not like being surrounded by people. I would avoid things like the Strip and I hated going to the grocery store. Pirates games were an ideal event. There was plenty of room on all 4 sides.

Moving to New York has changed things. Going to the grocery store means waiting in line. Going anywhere means being surrounded by people on a bus or in the subway. Privacy and seclusion are not options for me. I have become used to the idea of being around a large group or groups of people. I don't mind going to the grocery store or riding the subway or getting on a bus. The enormous masses of people has been a boon. Anonymity is readily available and I think that is crucial to what motivates agoraphobia; a fear of being noticed. This is a truncated post since it was written over a weekend, when my motivation to write was low, but I would like to address this moving forward.

1 comments:

  1. Is it the idea of being in public or is it idea of running into some random person you know and having to engage in small talk? Because whenever we'd go out in Pittsburgh 9 times of 10 you would know some random person. Something to think about...

    ReplyDelete

 

Jamie Dixon Cider Copyright © 2011 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates